Monday, December 19, 2011

Tantilizing Flavors of Indian Cuisine- Aloo gosht- Delhi-style Lamb with potatoes

Indian Cuisine, you have got to love it. Food that balances you, revitalizes you, and sustains you for a long and healthy life.Fragrant, spicy, hot, or mild. I have fond memories of my first encounter learning to cook the foods of India. My first venture into cooking Indian food came about when I was just starting to date my "friend" Hammett., As per usual being a  woman, (you know I end up in trouble ) I tried to impress his mother with a little Indian cooking as a gesture of respect. Bad move, especially not knowing at the time the taste complexities of the Cuisine. Off to Hammett's house for dinner. I labored trying to make  Chapati  which is an Indian bread. It came out fairly decent looking-(picture  the round loaves of Syrian bread you get in the market) . I will devote a future blog to all the elements which make up an Indian meal. Very interesting but too long for today. Back to the dinner, I walk in and present my homemade gift of bread. The silence  seemed forever, then the patient smile, then they all laughed.  Bringing Chapati to someones house is tantamount to taking a loaf of American bread to a dinner party. Heck, I didn't know, talk about being embarrassed! Hammett's mom was very gracious, I learned quite a bit from her on cooking.  One of my first dishes I learned to cook was  Aloo  gosht - Lamb cooked with potatoes. Serves 6 Serve with rice or bread and "Gujerati-style green beans" ( that will be for a future blog-Yummy!) Recipe: 7 tbsp of vegetable oil, 4 medium onions minced, 1 fresh green chili, minced, 5  cloves of garlic minced, 2 1/2 lbs lambs stew, 3 medium fresh tomatoes peeled and finely chopped, 1 tbsp ground cumin seeds,2 tbsp coriander seeds, 1/2 tsp ground turmeric, 1/4- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 2 scant tsp salt, 1 lb medium size potatoes, peeled, and cut in half, 3 2/3 c water. Heat the oil in a large, pot over high heat. when hot, put in the onions, green chili, and garlic. Stir and fry until the onions have browned slightly. Put in the meat and stir vigorously to incorporate. Now put in the tomatoes, cumin, coriander, turmeric, Cayenne pepper and salt. Continue to stir and cook  on high heat for 10- 15 mins or until the sauce is thick. Add the potatoes and 3 2/3 c water. Cover, leaving the    lid just very slightly ajar, and cook on medium low for about 1 hour,or  until the meat is tender and the sauce is thick.
This dish is a home style recipe usually served for "family". I am truly grateful for  the lessons in this delicious cuisine. I hope you will try to venture in the tastes of India it is so much more than you can imagine.  I will be making Aloo gosht   tonight, along with the " Gujerati- style green beans"  mmmm, pass me the Chapati,   I am hungry. Be well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment