Thursday, December 22, 2011

Jordon Marsh recipe- Blueberry Muffins

I am in the Living Room, wrapping the last few gifts, as I fold the paper to enclose the gift I notice the that the design is depicting a old- fashion Christmas. My minds wanders to the loved ones who have passed on, who I will miss. I am lucky, I have many wonderful memories to savor. One I would love to share: My Grandma, would take my mom to lunch at Jordon Marsh ( it is now called Macy's). At the counter when you left to pay you could buy one of their giant blueberry muffins to take home and enjoy.My mom's eyes always grew big as she told the story, it was almost as if she could taste the tons of plump berries, the delicate crumb like cake scented with butter,  muffin all over again. When Jordon Marsh finally closed, the last gift they gave to their customer's was the recipe for the Blueberry Muffins. It was printed in The Providence Journal with a " thank you".  The recipe that follows is printed as the Journal had it . The size of the muffins is smaller than the original muffin sold at Jordon Marsh. If you wish to make the giant muffins like they sold just increase the cooking time, and the yield will be smaller. Jordon Marsh Blueberry Muffin;  2c flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 1/2c blueberries, I use frozen at this time of year (I told you the muffins were loaded with blueberries),  1/2 c  unsalted butter, softened, 1c plus 2 tbsp sugar, 2 large eggs room temperature, 1/2c milk , 1 tsp vanilla.   Oven 375" Oven rack in lower third position. Line  18  21/2 inch muffin cups with paper liners. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl toss 2tbsp flour mixture with the berries,  Beat butter and  1 c sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Add remaining flour mixture alternating with milk and the vanilla. Crush 1/2c of berries and stir into the batter. Fold remaining berries in to batter. Spoon into cups, sprinkle with remaining 2tbsp of sugar. Bake 25-30 min Yields: 18 muffins  I heard the Blueberry Muffin story every time my mom made these muffins. I  now smile every time I make them, it just feels like my mom is hugging me. Be well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment