Thursday, December 29, 2011

Bran Muffins-Healthy Easy and Quick

I am "freezing", dam dog.  His obedience, protection training and everything in between is perfect. You would think  his trainer could teach him how to go outside and relieve himself and come back in. Noo..., am I asking for so much? Well, maybe. As I start to thaw, my mind turns to breakfast, mmm I want something healthy, delicious, quick, and will take the chill out of my bones. OK, I ask a lot out of the food I eat, but did you forget I want the dog to take himself out when it is cold.
I have tried a lot of Bran Muffin recipes the following is the best I have ever eaten. It is chuck full of plump raisins , and walnuts. What amazes me is that something so healthy and  is so good for you can be so delicious. The recipe is from the Grand Dame of baking Maida Heatter- she has published countless books on baking.  Maida Heatter's Bran Muffins : Yields 18 muffins. Prepare muffin tins with paper liners set aside. Recipe: 1/2 stick unsalted butter (2oz)  , 1/2c firmly packed dark brown sugar, 1/4 c of regular molasses( do not use black strap molasses it is too rich), 2 eggs , 1 c milk ( whole- not 2%), 1 1/2c Bran cereal ( use Kellogg's All Bran- gives excellent results), 1c raisins, 1 c walnuts broken up by hand not chopped,  1/2 c whole wheat flour, 1/2 c white flour, 3/4 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp baking soda. Oven  400'   Oven rack in center position. Melt butter. In a large bowl, mix butter, molasses and sugar until incorporated. In a small bowl beat milk and eggs. Add to the molasses mixture. Mix to incorporate. In a separate bowl mix together the  white flour , wheat flour, salt and baking soda, set aside. Add the Bran and the raisins to the molasses mixture ,stir to mix, let stand a few minutes to let the Bran soften  (about 3-4 minutes). Stir in the walnuts and flour mixture. VIP: Stir only to combine. Fill the muffin cups . Bake 15 mins. Do not over bake. Remove from oven, take muffins out of tin and place on a cooling rack. ( If they stay in the tins they keep cooking due to heat of the pan).   These muffins are great with butter, jam what ever you enjoy. The best part is they freeze well. Just put in a zip lock bag and take out however many muffins you want to eat at the time.
OH Good, my oven timer is beeping, the coffee is ready . NO...... not again ! my muffins have to wait a minute, darn dog has to go out again. MMMMM ,... maybe I could bribe the dog trainer with these muffins to teach the dog..............    Be well :)

1 comment:

  1. Finally made these the other day and must say they are the best bran muffins.....very moist and hearty. The broken (not chopped) nuts make all the difference. I plan to try your other recipes...my biggest problem is remembering to pick up the ingredients before I want to make them! Thanks

    ReplyDelete