Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Hanukkah Specialty- Cheese and Red Pepper Latkes

As you have probably already guessed in reading this blog I celebrate all holidays, cuisines and traditions. All are great reasons to sample the cuisines of the world. Yeah, right like I need a reason to make food- it is in my blood.
Hanukkah is a special time of year, a time to remember, celebrate and be with family.  My girlfriend gave me this recipe for Cheese and Red Pepper Latkes , at the time I received the recipe she was fighting breast cancer. I am happy to say she is a breast cancer survivor. Every time I make this dish I smile because she made it through her darkest hour and is thriving. To all how have gone through something similar this recipe is for you. Always know you are never alone,even if you don't see it, there are family, friends, and strangers that offer a silent prayer for  your recovery and good health. I celebrate  Christmas, but Hanukkah is special to me .
Cheese and Red Pepper Latkes :    3 medium onions finely chopped, 3 medium sweet red peppers, finely chopped , 1/3 c butter cubed , 18 medium garlic cloves, minced and divided, 1 tbsp celery salt , 1tbsp black pepper, 3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and shredded, 1 1/2 c  grated Parmesan cheese, 1 1/2c shredded cheddar cheese( 6oz),  1 c shredded mozzarella cheese (4oz), 1 c flour, 3/4 c sour cream, 3/4 c canola oil...... In a large skillet, saute onions and red peppers in the butter until tender. Add 1/4 c  garlic, celery salt and pepper, cook 1 min longer. Transfer to a large bowl. add the potatoes, cheeses, flour, sour cream and remaining garlic, mix well.  Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil, press lightly to flatten. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. drain on paper towels. Serve. Yields  3 dozen  These are light and addicting.
Happy Hanukkah!- May all be blessed with Good Health and Happiness!  Be well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment