Thursday, January 5, 2012

Potato Salad- Not just for summer

Lucky me, I have been fighting a cold virus for 3 weeks, you know the one where it goes away, comes back,you lose your voice,you cough your brains out and look like a train hit you- that virus. Ah, but the lucky part is my friends have picked my house to play cards tonight (nope , a virus,an earthquake etc. will not stop the game). My turn to make the food . I will set out an array of small tasting dishes. One is this recipe for Potato  Salad . ( Tomorrow's installment will be a killer brownie recipe which I am also making). I love this recipe because it is comfort food. It reminds me of family gatherings , taste good, and is not rocket science to put together. I will share  the secret to good potato salad. The secret is  the type of potato you use in the recipe. The wrong potato results in potato salad that is gummy , or crumbly, a gloppy  clump of potatoes with mayonnaise (yuk). The other secret is to add the dressing while the potatoes are still slightly warm.  Potato Salad- Classic Version  : Serves 4-6  2lbs Russet Potatoes ( about 3 to 4 medium potatoes), peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes, 2tbsp distilled white vinegar, 1 medium celery rib, chopped fine ( about 1/2 c), 2 tbsp minced red onion, 3 tbsp sweet pickle relish, 1/2c plus 2tbsp of mayonnaise, 3/4 tsp powdered mustard, 3/4 tsp celery salt , 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley leaves, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, 2 large hard-cooked eggs peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes.  Place potatoes in large saucepan and ad water to cover by 1 inch. bring to a boil over medium high heat, add  1 tbsp salt , reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring once or twice, until potatoes are tender, about 8 mins. Drain potatoes  and transfer  to a large bowl. Add vinegar and using a rubber spatula, toss gently to combine. Let stand until the potatoes are just warm, about 20 mins.  Meanwhile in a small bowl, stir together celery, onion, pickle relish, mayonnaise , powdered mustard, celery salt, parsley, pepper.  Using the  rubber spatula, gently fold dressing and eggs, into the potatoes. Cover  with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.  Serve.
I am off to prepare for the card game, sick or no I want to win. We may only play for nickles and dimes but the real game is when we play for- "the loser cleans one of our houses"-- and that's  not going to be me ! be well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment