Friday, January 13, 2012

Key Lime Bars-- Sweet and Tart

I am looking out my wind watching the fierce wind blow as it makes my tree limbs sway. My mind wanders to warmer days. Hmmm, something tropical would be another good desert to serve  for the play off game tomorrow.  Everyone I know has Patriots fever,and when they come to the house they will be hungry for a win as well as for food. Sweet and Tart is a good combination, it makes the palate  hunger for more. Remember, I always cook for an army (just in case company shows up- you want to have food to serve-Direct quote from all my ancestors). I want my guests to be well fed and content when they leave..  Key Lime Bars:   Oven 325" Oven rack in the center position. Line a 8 inch square baking pan with foil. Spray the foil with Pam. Set aside. Crust;  1c animal crackers crushed, 3tbsp packed light brown sugar, pinch of salt, 4 tbsp butter melted. Combine the crust ingredients together in a bowl, press on the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake 18 mins . Cool on a rack. Do not turn off oven.  Filling: 2 oz. cream cheese, 1 tbsp of grated lime zest, minced, pinch of salt, 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk, 1 large egg yolk, 1/2 c fresh  lime juice,  Garnish: 1/4c coconut lightly toasted as a garnish.  In a medium bowl whisk the cream cheese, zest and salt until softened and creamy. add remaining ingredients  whisk until well combined. pour over the cooled crust. Bake 15 mins . Remove from oven cool on a rack  1 - 1 1/2 hours. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours . Lift bars out of pan using the foil edges cut into 16 squares. Sprinkle with the coconut and serve. refrigerate leftovers.
As I bite into one of the Key Lime Bars I am whisked away to warmer memories, but reality sets in as the phone rings with another response of attendance to tomorrow's dinner, and a reminder of the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment