Thursday, February 9, 2012

Penne Pasta with Beef

Last night when driving home from a friend's, I witnessed the state police K-9 unit and a city K-9 unit chasing a man through a Dunkin  Donuts parking lot. Commotion ensued as the officers and dogs chased the man. I along with another vehicle were in the middle of the chase. Our two cars were stopped as cruisers sped in front of our vehicles. Commands from the officer's to  "Stop or I Will Send My Dog!" Needless to say the man did not stop and the dogs gave chase. I do not know how it ended, as soon as I could I drove away. My mind raced with a million thoughts. Everything I am grateful for, my family, my friends, the things I love in life.  Today as I reflect on last night's incident my hat comes off to the brave men and women who keep us safe . Today I need comfort food. This recipe is dedicated to all our heroes the police and the firefighters. It is quick easy , hearty and delicious. Penne Pasta with Beef; 1lb of ground beef, 2 tbsp olive oil  2 tsp of minced garlic, 1 medium onion coarsely chopped, 2- 28 oz cans of tomato ( Kitchen Ready brand), 11/2 tsp basil, 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper, 1/2 tsp salt , 1/2 tsp black pepper, 2c fresh cleaned spinach chopped, 2 c (8oz) shredded mozzarella cheese, 3/4- 1 lb of Penne pasta. Romano Cheese to taste
In a large saucepan add olive oil, beef and onion. Brown on medium heat until beef is cooked. Add garlic, basil , red pepper, salt and black pepper. Stir . Add  tomato to pan. Stir to incorporate . Add 1/2 c water to thin slightly. Add spinach, stir, let cook into sauce.  In a separate large pot  bring salted water  to a boil. Add Penne cook according to package directions until aldente. Drain well. In the pot that the pasta was cooked in add the drained pasta and some sauce to coat the Penne. Using a 13x9 glass dish layer half of the pasta  on the bottom of dish. Cover with sauce sprinkle 1c of shredded mozzarella over the top. Add the rest of the pasta. Sprinkle 1/2c of the remaining cheese over the pasta . Top with sauce. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 c  of mozzarella over the pasta.. Sprinkle lightly with some grated Romano Cheese. Place in a preheated 350' oven for 10-15 mins  just until cheese is melted. Serve. Pass any remaining  sauce separately. Serves 4 .
Comfort food at its best. A reminder of the good in life. Be well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment