Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pecan Cinnamon Muffins

As  I sort through the mail today a charity  that is close to my heart has an appeal. The Susan G Komen Foundation for Breast Cancer. I always donate in the hopes that other women , families etc  will some day never have to go through the ordeal of  Breast Cancer. As I write my check my mind wanders to my mom who was a Breast Cancer  survivor. When she was going through the treatment the doctor's gave her little hope of survival. In those dark, scary days my mom would try and reassure me she was going to make it. I would always hear "God makes a Way Where There Is No Way"(I know, it should have been me reassuring her , and giving her hope.-- but that was my mom-very strong and brave) We would bake these Pecan Cinnamon muffins together, have them warm from the oven, and be silly and laugh about God knows what.  These muffins are fragrant, delicate yet satisfying.
Pecan Cinnamon Muffins : Oven 425' Line 18 muffin cups with paper lining set aside. Recipe: 1 stick butter melted, 1/2c light brown sugar, 1c milk, 2 eggs lightly beaten, 2c flour, 1/2 c sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp Cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 1/2c coarsely chopped pecans.  In a bowl combine the butter and brown sugar, stir in the milk and the eggs. In another bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking powder,cinnamon, nutmeg and salt . Add to the butter mixture. Stir just to combine. Fold in the pecans. Batter will be lumpy. Divide batter among 18 papered muffin cups. Bake 20 mins .
 Yields 18. This recipe is from my mom's recipe box , she cut it out of Gourmet magazine in 1982.
I always smile when I eat these muffins and say a prayer of "Thanks"- you see God had other plans for my mom the doctors gave her only 3 months to live-- she lived 14 years after the diagnosis "cancer free."  I celebrate and pray for all the women and families who have or are making this journey now. Never give up hope, always have faith and may Love be Yours Always To Keep You Strong. Be well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment